How do you incorporate fresh vegetables and fruit into your guinea pigs' daily diet? How big is a "serving"? How many servings a day should you feed?
At the rescue, we get asked these questions a lot. So today we offer a couple of plays on the "daily menu".
While at the rescue, each guinea pig is fed one cup of vegetables per day, split between two feedings. This mixture can include:
- romaine or red leaf lettuce
- red and green bell pepper
- flat or curly parsley
- small amounts of kale, swiss chard, dandelion leaves, leafy green carrot tops, or leafy celery tops
- small amounts of finely chopped celery, parsnips, or cucumber
- two baby carrots (per day)
- a piece of fruit (strawberries, apple, orange, melon)
The folks over at Guinea Lynx also have a sample list that you might want to print out and refer to.
Stay tuned over the coming days as we talk more about your guinea pigs' diet. Please chime in about the fresh foods that your pigs go wild for!