After five years of writing this blog, I had to break down and do something I never thought I'd have to do: publicly publish a comment policy.
The majority of folks who leave comments here are cool people who love their guinea pigs, love talking about guinea pigs, and respect us as animal rescuers and authors of care information. But just as it takes only a few apples to ruin a bushel, it takes only a few folks to drag down the energy of a blog (and its owner). Over the last year, we've been persistently bugged by a gaggle of blatant self-promoters who became so obnoxious and intrusive on the blog that I threw comments into moderation until I'm sure they've gone off to bug someone else.
What made these commenters so irksome is that their comments were spam in disguise, and were posted only to drive traffic to sites that were
- stealing and repackaging content from sites like Guinea Lynx
- selling information products that contained guinea pig "care" content that was so erroneous or irresponsible that no reputable rescue would want the remotest hint of association with them
- phishing sites masquerading as e-commerce sites
- clearly designed for the sole purpose of creating Google Adwords revenue
- possibly legimitate, but negated because the posting frequency of their owners' comments was so excessively frequent that we knew they were more interested in their own site than in intelligent dialogue on ours
There's been a host of other instances of bad, disrespectful, childish, and flaming behavior that I won't go into (otherwise, I'll have to de-ick myself all over again). All of this tomfoolery is time consuming to deal with, and takes away from more valuable efforts. These comments also drag down other readers' experiences with our blog -- and that I can't abide by.
Most of our readers have nothing to worry about...but the "miscreants" have been put on notice. I hope our loyal readers will forgive the "intrusion" of this kind of housekeeping post as a necessary and well-intended measure designed to look out for their interests as much as ours.
You can read our guidelines on the Comment Policy page. Thanks, in advance, for continuing to respect them.